Afghanistan is surrounded by land on all sides, and a relatively arid and mountainous country, with plains only in the south and northwest. The country is dominated by the mighty Hindu Kush mountain range, which rises up towards the center and the northeast, where it meets the Pamir mountain range. Highest point is Mount Noshaq (7492 m) in the northeast, on the border with Pakistan.
Afghanistan's climate is of a harsh continental kind, scorching hot on the plains in summer, fiercely cold up in the mountains in winter.
At this moment Afghanistan is not a popular hiking destination, for obvious reasons. Yet, in more peaceful times, beautiful and remote mountains and valleys are just waiting to be explored in the Hindu Kush and Pamir ranges. Take for instance the northern province of Badakshan, and the Wakhan Corridor reaching out in the far northeast along the ancient Silk Route, touching on China. Take a look at the excellent website Juldu.com (see under facts) and dream away. But don't be mistaken: hiking here is for the hardy and experienced only.
- Simple Gestures
- The Greater Middle East poses major challenges for the United States. Yet despite decades of intense involvement in Middle Eastern affairs, most Americans still know little about the cultures of the region. ”Simple Gestures” describes one American`s efforts over forty years to better understand the society in the countries where she lived and... Leer más
- Vogelgids Centraal Azie - Birds of Central Asia | Christopher Helm
- Birds of Central Asia is the first field guide to include the former Soviet republics of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, along with neighbouring Afghanistan. This vast area includes a diverse variety of habitats, and the avifauna is similarly broad, from sandgrouse, ground jays and larks on the vast steppe and... Leer más
- Reisgids Afghanistan - A Companion and Guide | Odyssey
- Dit geweldige boek beschrijft de immense schat aan cultureel erfgoed, geschiedenis en natuur in Afghanistan. Een boek voor zowel de thuisblijver als de reiziger! Engelstalig. Thanks to 20 years of civil war and its association with terrorism, Afghanistan is now unjustly thought of in the West as a barbarous backwater. Afghanistan: A Companion... Leer más
- Caravan Journeys and Wanderings in Persia, Afghanistan, Turkistan, and Beloochistan (Classic Reprint)
- Excerpt from Caravan Journeys and Wanderings in Persia, Afghanistan, Turkistan, and Beloochistan br /The Travels presented in this volume to the public contain, it is believed, the latest accounts by an European of the countries of Central Asia. A part of the route is wholly new, and has never before been described. The author, M. Ferrier, is a... Leer más
- Caravan Journeys and Wanderings in Persia, Afghanistan, Turkistan, and Beloochistan
- Title: Caravan Journeys and Wanderings in Persia, Afghanistan, Turkistan, and Beloochistan: with historical notices of the countries lying between Russia and India. ... Translated from the original unpublished French] manuscript by ... W. Jesse. Edited by H. D. Seymour.Publisher: British Library, Historical Print EditionsThe British Library is... Leer más
- Afghanistan - Kabul & 5 Cities Street Plans Gizi Map
- Afghanistan at 1:2,000,000 on an indexed map from Gizi Map, with on the reverse large street plans of Kabul with an enlargement showing its central are in greater detail, plus Kandahar, Herat, Jalalabad, Kunduz and Mazar-e Sharif.On one side is a map of Afghanistan and the whole of Pakistan at 1:2,000,000. Bold altitude colouring clearly shows... Leer más
- Afghanistan - Kabul & 5 Cities Street Plans Gizi Wall Map
- Afghanistan at 1:2,000,000 on a wall map, size 88 x 95cm (35” x 37” approx) – paper version, from Gizi Map, with on the reverse large street plans of Kabul with an enlargement showing its central are in greater detail, plus Kandahar, Herat, Jalalabad, Kunduz and Mazar-e Sharif.On one side is a map of Afghanistan and the whole of Pakistan at... Leer más