- Name Hellismannaleid
- Distancia de sendero 55 km, 34 millas
- Duración en días 3 días
- Inicio de sendero Landmannalaugar
- Fin de sendero Rjupnavellir
- Clasificación Traildino MW, Caminata moderada, sendero de mochileros
- Clasificación Travesía de refugios T1, Caminata
Hellismannaleid, Landmannalaugar – Rjupnavellir, 55 km, 3 days
From Rjupnavellir, west of mount Hekla, there is a footpath to Landmannalaugar. This path is called Hellismannaleid. You will walk around the northern foothills of the volcano, passing through a beautiful and vast, open landscape, still full of volcanic activity. You'll probably meet few other hikers. There are two huts to stay along the way, and the trail is marked.
From Landmannalaugar starts the popular Laugavegur trail, going south to Þórsmörk. This is quite a busy route. Would you rather walk alone, then the Hellismannaleid is a worthy alternative. Maybe you can even join a group to climb mount Hekla (1491 m, from the end of July).